Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fondant Ring Box Cake - How to use and make fondant

Fondant

So I just recently taught myself to work with fondant. I don't know if my method of working with it is what professionals would use but either way the end product came out amazing. My friend Priscilla is getting married and for her bridal shower I wanted to make a engagement ring box cake. I had seen it somewhere on the internet. When I called around to the different bakeries, they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for this cake, so...... I learned how to make it myself. I relied on a new tool called... www.youtube.com for some pointers. I learned how to make fondant on youtube then did the rest on my own. The cake I used was just simple box cake that I made sure that I mixed for more than I needed to. This ensures less air in the cake when you overbeat it, resulting in a firmer base.

To make your own fondant:
160z mini marshmellow (I prefer the kraft jet-puffed brand)
2lb powdered sugar
1/2 C crisco or any vegetable shortening
-mixer (I use a kitchen aide) with dough hook
- put 3tbsp water in a microwave safe bowl with the marchmellows. Put in microwave for 1 minute, 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until it seems all the water is incorporated into the marshmellows
-put the crisco and 2lbs of sifted powdered sugar in the bowl of the mixture and add the marshmellows to the top.
-turn the mixer onto low to start mixing all ingredients. In the begining you will need to hold the top portion of the kitchen aide mixer up a bit until the marshmellow mixture mixes and reduces down. Once the marmellow mixture reduces down you can close the top of the kitchen aide and mix normally. Once the marmellow mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl it is ready for kneading.
-On a sifted powdered sugar surface, knead the marmellow until it becomes a smoothe, glossy surface. Double wrap with plastic wrap. This is ready to be used and will store at room temp for 2 weeks. You can add your color by simply kneading it in when you are ready.
When you are ready to use, simply put the prepared fondant in the microwave for 10 seconds to slightly soften it so you can roll it out. Always roll it out on sifted powdered sugar and treat it kinda like playdoe. Fondant that is left out (without being wrapped), will get very stiff and hard.
***Homemade fondant is tastier and more cost effectient than store bought fondant...***

~Tiffany's Engagement Ring box Cake~

***The ring in this picture is plastic and purchased on the internet. The rest is cake and fondant***

No comments:

Post a Comment